Whenever a movement of products (in or out) happens, it should be entered as a transaction. During transaction entry processing, stock balances are updated and the average unit cost is re-calculated for the product involved.
When the Transaction icon is selected from the Dashboard, a blank transaction entry form is invoked. This form has input fields for the details of the transaction such as product, date, quantity. The details of the input fields are given below:
Inventory Mode : The Inventory Mode has to be selected with respect to the type of transaction being made. It can be “Stock in”, “Stock out” or “Internal”. The default selection is “Stock in”.
- Stock In : Whenever you are performing an incoming transaction, select this option.
- Stock Out : Whenever you are performing an outgoing transaction, select this option.
- Internal : Select this option if you want to make an internal transaction from one inventory center to another. When this option is selected, extra input fields will be displayed at the bottom to specify the target Center and Transaction-in type.
Date : This is the date on which the transaction is made. The date button when selected invokes a date picker.
Product Code Options : With respect to the product that is involved in this transaction you can enter the product code in different ways.
- Product Code : This is the field where the product code has to be entered if you prefer to do it by keying in manually. Once entered, it must be validated by pressing the ‘Confirm’ button. If you don’t remember the code you may opt for picking it from a list or scan the bar code.
- Confirm : By pressing this button, the system verifies the entered code from its database. If code is valid, it confirms the product and displays relevant information. Otherwise a message will be flashed. Once validated, if you modify the product code manually, you have to validate it again.
- List : This is an option to select a product from a list. The user may click on the ‘List’ button which will invoke a pop up displaying a list of products. The list can be filtered by the selected category. A product code selected this way is automatically validated.
- Scan : This option can be used during transaction to select a product by scanning its bar code. When the user clicks the ‘Scan’ button, the Android device’s camera is invoked. Camera must be pointed at the bar code with the bar code placed within the scanner frame. Once scanned successfully, it will validate the product if the bar code matches with an existing product.
Once the product is selected/identified, some of its details are automatically displayed in the transaction details form. These product details include Product name, Category, Location, Stock and Unit Cost . Except Unit cost, the other fields cannot be edited from this form as they are fetched from the product record.
Unit Cost : Unit cost can be modified if the Inventory mode is of type “stock in”. The average cost is recalculated based on the input cost. So all the Stock-in transactions must provide actual unit cost for the product involved. Preferably, this should be the final landed cost including additional expenses like Freight charges, Custom duty. The stock-out transactions will use the average unit cost and the user will not be allowed to change that. In this way the value of stock in hand can be accurately maintained.
Transaction Type : The user has an option to select the type of transaction, such as sales, purchase, transfer-out etc. Based on the Inventory mode (Stock in or Stock out) the selectable transaction types differ. More over, the unit cost is editable only in the case of a Stock-in transaction.
The transaction type can be created in the setup options.
Sales contact : The user can enter the sales contact details in this field. It may refer to a person or organization or whatever deemed fit. This alpha numeric field can extend up to a maximum of 50 characters.
Reference : The user can enter a reference related to the transaction, such as an invoice number, purchase order number or receipt number. This is an alpha numeric field and is limited to a maximum length of 20 characters.
Quantity : The quantity of product involved in the transaction must be specified here. This cannot be zero.
Comments : This is an alpha numeric field for entering the comments and shall extend up to a maximum of 50 characters.
Internal Transfer : This section is visible and valid only if the “Internal” option of the Inventory mode is selected. When the stock has to be transferred between two centers, this will generate a stock in transaction for the target Inventory Center selected.
- Target center : Here you have to select the Inventory Center to which the stock is moved into.
- Transaction type : Here you have to select the type of Stock In transaction for the Target Center.
Save & Cancel : The ‘Save’ button allows the user to save these transaction details. The saved transactions can be viewed in the transaction listing (create link for transaction listing) or generated as reports.
The ‘Cancel’ button lets the lets the user cancel the operation and leave the window.